About Dr. Sukhbir Uppal
Fellow American College of Rheumatology
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians (FRCP), Edinburgh (UK)
- Examiner MRCP (UK), MBBCh, Kuwait University, MBBS and MD
- Associate Professor in Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait, 2001 – 2009
- Consultant (Medicine & Rheumatology) and Head of Rheumatology Division, Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait, 2001- 2009
- Senior Consultant (Medicine & Rheumatology) and Head of Medicine Department, University Hospital Sharjah, 2010-2018
- Professor of Medicine, Sharjah University, 2010-2018
- Over 50 research publications
- 36 years experience as a Consultant Physician 1982 – 2018
- 25 years experience as Consultant Rheumatologist 1993 – 2018
As head of the Rheumatology Division, Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital, Kuwait, from 2001 to 2009, Dr. Sukhbir Uppal provided full time out-patient, in-patient and consultation rheumatology services for the citizens and residents of Kuwait. Then he moved to the prestigious University Hospital Sharjah in 2010.
In University Hospital Sharjah,he was Senior Consultant in Rheumatology, full Professor of Rheumatology, and Chairman of the Department of Medicine. Now he is visiting consultant for the Aster Al Raffah Hospital, Muscat, and Fortis Hospital, Mohali from 2010 to 2018.
He is abreast of latest developments in the fields of rheumatology and medicine, attending all important international conferences for advancing knowledge and skills, especially the annual American (ACR) and European (EULAR) Rheumatology conferences.
. REVIEWER FOR SEVERAL INTERNATIONAL JOURNALS OF REPUTE
- Journal of Rheumatology
- Arthritis Care and Research
- Kuwait Medical Journal (KMJ)
- Indian Journal of Rheumatology (IJR)
- Journal of Association of Physicians of India (JAPI)
- Medical Journal Armed Forces India (MJAFI)
- Iranian Journal of Immunology
ORIGINAL RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS (TOTAL NO. 50)
[Contributed a regular Rheumatology Review article to Indian Journal of Rheumatology for 2 years]
1. Hammoudeh M, Abdulaziz S, Alosaimi H, Al-Rayes H, Aldeen Sarakbi H, Baamer M, Baraliakos X, Dahou Makhloufi C, Janoudi N, Shirazy K, Sieper J, Uppal S. Challenges of diagnosis and management of axial spondyloarthritis in North Africa and the Middle East: An expert consensus. J Int Med Res. 2016;44(2):216-30.
2. Dhaunsi GS, Uppal SS, Haider MZ. Insulin-like growth factor-1 gene polymorphism in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Scand J Rheumatol. 2012;41(6):421-5
3. Uppal SS. Rheumatology Reviews. Ind J Rheumatol 2010;5(1):51–54 onwards, every 3 months, to date
4. Uppal SS, Ragupathy R, Hayat SJ, Longenecker JC, Abraham M, Rawoot P. Disease activity and cytokine production in mitogen-stimulated peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Med Princ Pract 2010;19(1):33-9
5. Uppal SS, Hayat SJ, Raghupathy R. Safety and efficacy of infliximab in SLE: A pilot study. Lupus
6. Uppal SS. Rheumservice: Hot rheumatology updates. Ind J Rheumatol 2009;4(4):179-81
7. Uppal SS, Raghupathy R, Hayat SJ, Chowdhury RI, Abraham M, Rawoot P. Patient demographics and disease variables correlate with distinct cytokine patterns in mitogen-stimulated peripheral blood mononuclear cells from rheumatoid arthritis patients. Rheumatol Int. 2008 Apr;28(6):533-9
8. Uppal SS, Haider MZ, Hayat SJ, Dhaunsi GS, Abraham M, Sukumaran J. Significant association of insertion/deletion polymorphism of the angiotensin-converting enzyme gene with rheumatoid arthritis. J Rheumatology: 2007 Dec;34(12):2395-9
9. Hayat SJ, Uppal SS. Therapeutic efficacy and safety profile of infliximab in active systemic lupus erythematosus. Mod Rheumatol, 2007:17:174-177
10. Uppal SS, Al-Mutairi M, Hayat S, Abraham M, Malaviya A. Ten years of clinical experience with adult onset Still’s disease: is the outcome improving? Clin Rheumatol. 2007 Jul;26(7):1055-1060.
11. Uppal SS, Hussain MAS, Al-Raqum HA, Nampoory MRN, Al-Saeid K, Al-Assousi A, Abraham M, Malaviya AN. Henoch-Schönlein’s purpura in adults versus children/adolescents: a comparative study. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2006 Mar-Apr;24(2 Suppl 41):S26-30.
12. Hayat SJ, Uppal SS, Narayanan Nampoory MR, Johny KV, Gupta R, Al-Oun M. Safety and efficacy of infliximab in a patient with active WHO class IV lupus nephritis. Clin Rheumatol. 2007 Jun;26(6):973-975.
13. Nahar IK, Muqim AT, Al-Qhouti BI, Al-Herz AA, Shehab DK, Uppal SS, Khadadah ME. The use of etoricoxib in patients with bronchial asthma associated with aspirin sensitivity. Saudi Med J. 2006;27(1):119-20.
14. Uppal SS, Abraham M, Chowdhury RI, Kumari R, Pathan EM, Al Rashed A. Clinical Spectrum of HLA-B27 Positive and Negative Spondyloarthropathies Seen in Arabs and South Asians: The Experience of a Teaching Hospital in Kuwait. Clin Rheumatol. 2006; 25(2):219-24.
15. Al-Raqum HA, Uppal SS. First report of leprosy presenting as acute polyarthritis in the setting of type I downgrading lepra reaction. Clin Rheumatol. 2006;25(1):101-5.
16. Al-Raqum HA, Uppal SS, Al-Mutairy M, Kumari R. Shrinking lung syndrome as a presenting manifestation of systemic lupus erythmatosus in a Kuwaiti female. Clin Rheumatol 2006; 25(3):412-4.
17. Kumari R, Uppal SS. Prolonged remission in adult-onset Still’s disease with etanercept. Clin Rheumatol. 2006; 25(1):106-8.
18. Kumari R, Uppal SS. First report of supraventricular tachycardia after intravenous pulse methylprednisolone therapy, with a brief review of the literature. Rheumatol Int. 2005; 26(1):70-3.
19. Uppal SS. Management of vasculitis. APLAR J Rheumatol 2004;7:180-88
20. Uppal SS, Salopal TK, Singh H. Left gluteal focal myositis in a patient with signet ring adenocarcinoma of the stomach: not a paraneoplastic phenomenon. Rheumatol Int. 2004; 24(6):365-7.
21. Uppal SS, Tewari SC, Verma S, Dhot PS. Comparison of CD4 and CD8 lymphocyte counts in HIV-negative pulmonary TB patients with those in normal blood donors and the effect of antitubercular treatment: hospital-based flow cytometric study. Cytometry B (Clin Cytom). 2004 Sep;61(1):20-6.
22. Uppal SS, Gupta S, Verma S. Correlation of clinical and laboratory surrogate markers of immunodepletion with T cell subsets (CD4 & CD8) determined flow cytometrically in HIV infected patients: a hospital based study. J Commun Dis. 2003;35(3):140-53.
23. Uppal SS, Verma S. Analysis of the clinical profile, autoimmune phenomena and T cell subsets (CD4 and CD8) in Takayasu’s arteritis: A hospital based study. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2003; 21: (Suppl.32): S112-S116
24. Uppal SS, Verma S, Dhot PS. Normal values of CD4 and CD8 lymphocyte subsets in healthy Indian adults and the effects of sex, age ethnicity and smoking. Cytometry Part B (Clin Cytom), 2003; 52B:32-36
25. Uppal SS. Al Mutairy M, Malaviya AN. Clinical and immunological profile of Primary Sjogren’s syndrome in Kuwait: First report from middle east. APLAR J Rheumatol 2003; 6(1):16-20
26. Uppal SS, Marouf RAR, Al Mutairy M, Al Herz A, Kortom MAF, Al Wazan H. First report of osteonecrosis of the calcaneum in a young Kuwaity female with hemoglobin E/β thalassemia. Clin Exp Rheumatol 2003; 21(4):522
27. Uppal SS, Achuthan K, Kotte VK, Saini JS. A study to assess the prevalence and clinical spectrum of patients with antiphospholipid antibodies. J Ind Rheum Assoc 1998;6:29-34
28. Uppal SS, Saini JS, Pruthi HS, Singh B, Singh AP, Mahapatro AK. Successful treatment of hepatitis B virus (HBV) associated polyarteritis nodosa (PAN) with interferon alpha alone (abstr). J Ass Phys India, 1998;46:58
29. Gupta PK, Uppal SS, Achuthan K, Adya CM, Singh A, Saini JS. Sonography is valuable in evaluation of chronic non-traumatic disorders of the shoulder joint. MJAFI, 1998;54(1):27-31.
30. Uppal SS, Madan H, Singh R, Saini JS. AIDS awareness in patients attending the medical outpatient department of a Pune hospital. MJAFI, 1997; 53(4):277-81
31. Rao MKK, Sayal SK, Uppal SS, Gupta RM, Ohri VC, Banerjee S: Beta -2- microglobulin levels in human-immunodeficiency virus infected subjects. MJAFI, 1997; 53(4):251-4
32. Achuthan K, Uppal SS. Rheumatological manifestations in 102 cases of HIV infection. J Ind Rheum Ass, 1996
33. Achuthan K, Uppal SS. Alpha interferon in systemic sclerosis a study in 12 cases. J Ind Rheum Ass, 1996; 4(4) : 158.
34. Ira Pande, Uppal SS, Kailash S, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Behcet’s disease in India: a clinical, immunological, immunogenetic and outcome study. Br J Rheumatol, 1995;34:825-30.
35. Uppal SS, Ira Pande, Singh G, Kailash S, Kakkar R, Kumar A, Mehra NK, Giri TK, Sekharan NG, Malaviya AN. Profile of HLA B27 related unclassifiable seronegative spondyloarthropathy in females and its comparison with the profile in males. Br J Rheumatol, 1995;34:137-40.
36. Giri TK, Wali JP, Meena HS, Pande I, Uppal SS, Kailash S. Sociodemographic characteristics of HIV infection in northern India. J Commun Dis. 1995;27(1):1-9.
37. Uppal SS, Ira Pande, Kailash S, Sekharan NG, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Adult onset Still’s disease in Northern India: Comparison with juvenile onset Still’s disease. Br J Rheumatol, 1995; 34:429-34.
38. Giri TK, Ira Pande, Mishra NM, Kailash S, Uppal SS, Kumar A: Spectrum of clinical and laboratory characteristics of HIV infection in Northern India. J Communic Dis, 1995;27(3):131-41
39. Giri TK, Wali JP, Meena HS, Pande I, Uppal SS, Kailash S. Sociodemographic characteristics of HIV infection in northern India. J Commun Dis. 1995;27(1):1-9.
40. Uppal SS, Badhwar S, Ganguly S, Agnihotri V, Boparai MS, Suri RK. Chloroquine resistant falciparum malaria in the Andamans. J Ass Phys India, 1995; 43(2):103-5.
41. Sharada B, Kakkar R, Ira Pande, Uppal SS, Adya CM, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Intravenous dexamethasone pulse therapy in diffuse systemic sclerosis: a randomised, placebo controlled study. Rhematol International, 1994;14(3):91-4.
42. Ira Pande, Malaviya AN, Sekharan NG, Kailash S, Uppal SS, Kumar A. SLE in Indian men. Analysis of the clinical and laboratory features with review of the literature. Lupus, 1994; 3 : 181-86.
43. Uppal SS, Adya CM. Autoantibodies in pregnancy. J Ind Rheumatism Assoc, 1994.
44. Ira Pande, Sekharan NG, Kailash S, Uppal SS, Singh RR, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Analysis of clinical and laboratory profile in Indian childhood systemic lupus erythematosus and its comparison with SLE in adults. Lupus, 1993 ; 21 : 83-87.
45. Mehra NK, Ira Pande, Veena Taneja, Uppal SS, Saxena SP, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Major histocompatibility complex genes and susceptibility to systemic lupus erythematosus in Northern India. Lupus, 1993; 2 : 313-314.
46. Uppal SS, Pande I, Kakkar R, Yechoor V, Kumar A, Malaviya AN. Infective endocarditis in a case of systemic lupus erythematosus. J Ass Phys India, Jul 1993;41(7):470.
47. Uppal SS, Agnihotri V, Badhwar SK, Ganguly SK, Shetty KJ: Clinical aspects of centipede bite in the Andamans. J Ass Phys India 1990: 38(2), 163-64.
48. Uppal SS, Dham SK, Shetty KJ, Ahuja IM: Factors precipitating failure in established cases of rheumatic heart disease. J Ass Phys India 1987: 36(7), 501-503.
49. Uppal SS, Varadarajulu NJ, Ahuja IM. Clinical association between automatic and somatic neuropathy in diabetes mellitus. Med J Armed Forces India 1987; 43(3), 207-11.
50. Anand KP, Uppal SS, Ahuja IM: Electrocardiographic diagnosis. J Applied Med 1984: 10(1), 53-55.
REVIEW ARTICLES/EDITORIALS (TOTAL NO. 6)
1. Uppal SS. Editorial: Treatment and outcome of lupus nephritis at the turn of the millenium. J Ass Phys India 1999;47:857-61
2. Uppal SS. HLA-B27 & immunogenetics of the spondyloarthropathies: current concepts. J Ind Rheum Ass 1999;7:55-61
3. Uppal SS, Achuthan K. Impact of HIV infection on rheumatic diseases. J Ass Phys India, 1997;45:387-91.
4. Uppal SS, Achuthan K: Rheumatological manifestations of HIV infection. Bombay Hosp J, 1997;39:302-7.
5. Uppal SS. Erythema nodosum syndrome. Proceedings Ind Rheumatism Assoc, 1992.
6. Uppal SS. Current concepts: Idiopathic inflammatory myopathies. Proceedings Ind Rheumatism Assoc, 1992.
TEXTBOOK CHAPTERS (TOTAL NO. 4)
1. Uppal SS. Low backache – a clinician’s approach. In Pispati PK, Borges N, Uppal SS (eds): IRA Manual of Rheumatology. Bombay, India, 2003
2. Uppal SS. Seronegative spondyloarthropathy. In: Shah SN (Ed): API Textbook of Medicine, 7th ed, Mumbai, Association of Physicians of India, 2003; pp1164-1171
3. Uppal SS. Living with arthritis. In: Zachariah N, Pandita R (eds): Key to good health. Indian Doctor’s Forum, Kuwait, pp 119-122; 2004.
4. Uppal SS. Nampoory MRN. Lupus nephritis – pathogenesis and management. In Mukherjee S (Ed): Recent Trends in Connective Tissue Disorders. Indian College of Physicians, Mumbai, 2004.
HONORS AND AWARDS
1. Awarded “Clinical Tutorship in Medicine of Poona University” for clearing the 2- year Advanced Training Course in Medicine with distinction
2. Awarded “The Director General Armed Forces Medical Services Medal” for standing first with distinction in the Junior Medical Officer’s Course
3. Awarded “The Best Outgoing Officer Trophy” for standing first in the Junior Command Medical Course
4. Awarded “The Best Outgoing Officer Trophy” for standing first in the Senior Command medical Course
5. Awarded “The General -Officer-Commanding Commendation Card & Medal” for devotion to duty and distinguished service
6. Awarded “Second Best Original Article Award – 1997” by Medical Journal Armed Forces India
7. Awarded “Best Original Article Award – 1998” by Medical Journal Armed Forces India
NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
Regularly organizing Continuing Medical Education programs, clinical meetings,
and professional conferences. He is a sought after and highly appreciated
speaker at national and international Rheumatology meetings.